Sri Rajagopalaswamy Temple is dedicated to Rajagopalaswamy, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The sanctum of the temple enshrines a 7 feet high image of Vaasudeva with his consorts Sri Devi and Bhoodevi. The Utsava murthi idol is of exquisite beauty and is adorned with precious jewellery and colourful flowers. Along with him are his consorts Rukmani and Satyabhama.
Goddess Sri Devi and Bhoodevi are the consorts of Lord Vishnu.
Interesting Facts
Best Season To Visit
The best season to visit the temple is Winter season. The best months to visit are September to February.
Weather
Highest - April to June (38°C during day and 26°C during night)Average - May (39°C during the day and 26°C during night)Lowest - December to February (30°C during day and 21°C during night)Monsoon season – July to September
Dress Code
Do's & Dont's
transport connections
Name | Distance | Contact Number |
---|---|---|
![]() |
2.2 KM | 18004194287 |
![]() |
2.2 KM | 9500420531 |
![]() |
96 KM | 044-2256 0551 |
Architecture
Rajagopalaswamy, Mannarkudi is one of the largest and glorious temples of Tamilnadu. It has the largest temple tank (Haridra Theertham) with the sides measuring a total of 1.3 kilometers encompassing an area of over 10 hectares. The temple has 16 gopurams, 18 Vimaanas, 7 Prakarams, 7 Mantapas and 10 Theerthams some of which are large tanks and outside the temple. The temple walls run for a kilometer in length and is adorned with 4 beautiful Gopurams facing the four directions. The main eastern Rajagopuram is a massive 11 tiered structure, the south 7, west 9 and the north are 5 tiered gopurams. Apart from this there are other Gopurams leading to the inner Prakarams. After you enter the Rajagopuram you have the large open corridors – Nachiyar Prakaram, Sambaga Prakaram and Kasi Prakaram. There is a 1000 pillared and a 100 pillared mantapa. Outside the eastern Rajagopuram is the wonderful 54 feet tall Monolith Garudasthambam with a small shrine for Garuda on top. On the base of this are sculptures including Hanuman, Rajagopalaswamy, Achuthappa Naicker and his wife Moorthimamba. Many depictions from the Ramayana can be seen in the temple. The sculptures here are best described by an expert as they are so many and so beautiful. The Brahmotsavam which is for 10 days in other temples is celebrated grandly here for 18 days said to represent the 18 days of the Kurukshetra war and the 18 chapters of the Gita. The temple walls here are legendary in reference – ‘Mannarkudi Mathil Azhagu’ (Beauty of the Mannarkudi Walls).
There are 10 Theerthams – Haridra River, Durvasa Theertham, Thiruparkadal, Gopika Theertham, Rukmani Theertham, Agnikunda Theertham, Krishna Theertham, Sangu Theertham, Chakra Theertham and Pambani River.
Religious Significance
Krishna Leela - When cruel Kamsa put his own sister Devaki and her husband Vasudeva in prison, Lord Vishnu appeared before them and assured that he would be born to them. This is his first Leela-divine play Krishna Leela. His life in Gokhulam as a shepherd was the 32nd Leela. Based on these events, the presiding deity is Vaasudeva and procession deity as Rajagopala. While opening the Vaasudeva shrine in the morning, Gopuja-cow puja and Gaja puja-puja to elephant are performed.
Reason behind the name Mannargudi - Procession deity is also called Rajamannar, hence the name of the place Mannargudi.
Lord holding a tusk in his left hand - Kamsa engaged a wild elephant named Kuvalaya Peetam to kill Balarama. Lord Krishna killed that elephant. Remembering the event, Lord is holding a tusk in his left hand.
Lord with ear rings - Lord Krishna arranged a competition among the Gopikas bathing in Yamuna River. The contest was that they should dress properly and wear the jewels after the bath. One Gopika could not find one of her ear ring. They found it at last in the ear of Krishna and were excited with joy to see its beauty in his ears. Based on this event, Lord in the temple has a Thadanga-ear ring in one ear and Kundalamring in the other.
Lord showed Krishna Leela to Gopilar and Gopralayar - During the Krishnavatara, there were two sages in the south named Gopilar and Gopralayar. Hearing the Leelas of Lord Krishna they set out to see him in Dwaraka. Maharshi Narada met them on the way and told them that Krishnavatara had ended and Lord had returned to his abode. The sages fell fainted on hearing this news. Maharshi Narada woke them up and consoled them. As advised by Narada, they began penance to have lord’s darshan. Lord appeared before them as Krishna in all his 32 Leelas. As requested by the sages, Lord stayed in this place.
Thirumangai Azhvaar Visit to this Temple - It is said that Thirumangai Azhvaar did visit this place. He came up to the entrance of the temple, lifted the Dwaja Sthambam (Flag Post) at the entrance of the temple that was lying on the floor and went away.
Prathyaksham - It is said that the Lord here gave darshan to Brahmma in Kritha Yugam, to Brugu Rishi and Goddess Mahalakshmi in Tretha Yugam, to Agni, Gopila and Gopralaya Rishi (children of Rishi Vahnimugar) in Dwapara Yugam and to King Rajasekhar in Kali Yugam.
Significance of the place – Staying here for a Night - In the Mahabharata, Pulasthya tells Bheeshma that anyone staying for a night at Mannarkoil earns the merit of having gifted a 1000 cows, such is the significance of this place.
32 Photographs around the Main Sannidhi - It is believed that the Lord gave darshan in 32 different forms to the 2 Rishis here. The first of that was Paravasudeva (Moolavar here) and the last was RajaGopalan (Utsavar). These 32 forms are displayed in a colourful form around the main Sannidhi at this temple.
Temple Elephant and the 10 km walk every morning - The temple elephant Shengamalam takes a 10 km walk every day to keep herself fit. With 32 villages around this temple, the elephant walks to one village every day. Interestingly, Shengamalam does not eat plantains like other temple elephants. She has a special liking for biscuits.
Santhaana Gopalan - Near the Utsava Moorthy, one also finds Santhaana Gopalan. It is believed that those who pray to the Santhaana Gopalan will be blessed with a child. A Srilankan couple, who prayed to the Lord here and were blessed with a child immediately.
History
The temple was first constructed by Kulothunga Chola-I (1070-1125 A.D.), with bricks and mortar, indicated by various stone inscription found in the site. The place Mannargudi is termed Sri Rajathi Raja Chathurvedhi Mangalam and the town started to grow around the temple. Successive kings of the Chola empire, Rajaraja Chola-III, Rajendra Chola III and kings of Thanjavur Nayaks, Achyuta Deva Raya expanded the temple. The temple contains inscriptions of the Hoysala kings and some Vijayanagara grants, and many records of the later Nayaks and Marathas. The Thanjavur Nayaks made the temple as their dynastic and primary shrine and made significant additions.
The current temple structure, hall of 1000 pillars, main gopuram (temple gateway tower) and the big compound wall around the temple was built by the king Vijayaraghava Nayak (1532-1575 A.D.). Raghunathabhyudayam, a doctrine by Nayaks explains the donation of armour studded with precious stones to the main deity by the king. He erected the big tower in the temple so that he can view the Srirangam Ranganathaswamy temple from the top of Mannargudi. The Nayaks were specially interested in music and it was promoted in both the temples. Instruments like Mukhavina, Dande, Kombu, Chandravalaya, Bheri and Nadhaswaram were commonly used in the temple service.
According to historian K.V. Soundararajan, the Ranganatha temples in South India built during the 9th and 10th centuries have a systematic arrangement of subsidiary deities as seen in this temple along with the Appakkudathaan Perumal Temple at Koviladi, Sowmya Narayana Perumal temple at Thirukoshtiyur, Veeraraghava Perumal Temple at Mannargudi and Rangantha temple at Srirangapatna. This place is also known as Champakaaranya Kshetram.
Temple Timings
Day | Timings | |
---|---|---|
All Days | 05:30 AM - 12:00 PM | 04:00 PM - 09:30 PM |
Pooja
Tours
Airports
Airport Name | Distance |
---|---|
Shamshabad | 40 KM |
Lorem Ipsum | 12 KM |
Railway Stations
Railway Station Name | Distance |
---|---|
Secunderabad | 10 KM |
Nampally | 12 KM |
Begumpet | 6 KM |
Lingampally | 20 KM |
Bus Stations
Bus Station Name | Distance |
---|---|
MGBS | 35 KM |
CBS | 28 KM |
kukatpally | 20 KM |
Lingampally | 30 KM |
Uppal | 35 KM |
Private Transports
Transport Name | Distance | Contact Number |
---|---|---|
Private Transport | 8 KM | 9546858757 |
Private Transport1 | 8 KM | 9546858757 |
Private Transport1 | 8 KM | 9546858757 |
Private Transport1 | 8 KM | 9546858757 |
Private Transport1 | 8 KM | 9546858757 |
Local Transports
Transport Name | Distance | Contact Number |
---|---|---|
Local Transport | 5 KM | 9546858757 |
Local Transport1 | 5 KM | 9546858757 |
Local Transport1 | 5 KM | 9546858757 |
Local Transport1 | 5 KM | 9546858757 |
Local Transport1 | 5 KM | 9546858757 |
Nearest Temples
One of the 275 Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams
87th temple on the banks of Cauvery praised in Thevaram hymns
This temple was built in 12th century AD
Nearest Attractions
Historically and geographically significant beach
Hosts a whole lot of migratory birds in the winters
User Reviews
Map